Nikihk Housing First
The Nikîhk Housing First Program is designed to support the housing needs of Urban Indigenous Peoples who are homeless and reside in Edmonton.
Nikîhk – pronounced Nee-kih is a Cree word that translates to “my home”. We chose that name because our program isn’t about having a place to live but rather it’s about supporting Indigenous Peoples who are struggling with homelessness, in building a home for themselves and their family.
The goal of the Housing First initiative is to assist individuals & families in securing safe, affordable, appropriate, permanent housing, and to assist and support in maintaining their home while they continue on their journey. Our staff take a harm reduction approach to providing supports and services to our program participants, and is client-driven in terms of the participants identifying their own goals and determining how to get there.
- Attend scheduled visits
- Provide all required information
- Work with staff in building a support plan, harm reduction plan, and home maintenance plan.
- Assistance with securing financial resources. Ex: Alberta Works, AISH, EI, and student funding
- Assistance in locating rental properties
- Home furnishing through FIND – Used furniture bank
- Goal setting
- Financial literacy
- Trauma Support
- Cultural Connection/Connection to Elders
- Connection to resources
- And more!
Contact Nikihk Housing First