Kokomish is a group care program established in 1996 that provides intermediate and long-term care to Indigenous youth (12-17 years old) who are in the care of Children Services. Kokomish means grandmother in the Ojibwa language. Using traditional Indigenous perspectives and values, we provide our youth with supervision, guidance, life skill development, life space counseling, support, advocacy, recreation, cultural resources and programming. Most importantly, we provide our youth with a safe, caring, and accepting home
- Provide direction, guidance, and supervision to staff and residents living in the group home
- Responsible for the overall operation of the group home and will provide the leadership required in cooperation with the group home Supervisor.
- Provide guidance with conflict that arise whether with employees or residents
- Co-chair or chair the monthly staff meetings.
- Provide a safe, supportive environment for the youth
- Build positive relationships with the youth
- Monitor the spending and recording of group home funds in cooperation with the supervisor
- Provide support to the group homes by way of making decisions, finding coverage, or going in to work in situations where relief is unavailable
- Participate in development of staff evaluations
- Assist the supervisor with staff training & hiring
- On call as required
- Completion of a Human Services Degree or Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 2 years related work experience with a year working in supervisory role
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Knowledge of Indigenous culture is an asset
- Knowledge of trauma informed care and the ability to use a harm reduction approach
- Passion for working with Indigenous individuals; excited about being a catalyst of change in youth’s lives.
- Must have an understanding of the impact the loss of culture identity and intergeneration residential school syndrome has had on Indigenous people.
- Must have own vehicle and be willing to transport clients.
- Must have a valid Class 5 non graduated driver’s license and willing to provide a clear drivers abstract
- Must have 2-million-dollar liability insurance coverage if unable to drive company vehicle
- Must provide a clean Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector and Intervention Record Check (within a 6-month period from date of completion).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Salary and Benefits
- Monthly salary, based on education and experience.
- Entitled to paid sick and wellness days after 3 months’ probation (pro-rated).
- Entitled to extended health benefit plan (50/50 cost sharing) after 6 months’ employment
Closing Date: Posting will be open until suitable candidate is found
How to Apply
You can send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID-19 Notice: Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.