Payroll and Benefits Administrator
Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society is a non-profit organization which provides unique programs and services to Edmonton’s urban Aboriginal population. Our Society was incorporated in Alberta in 1994 assisting Aboriginal children/youth and families in the Greater Edmonton Region.
The Payroll & Benefits Administrator functions as a member of the Accounting & HR team based in our Parkdale/Central Office. As the Payroll & Benefits Administrator, you will be responsible in areas of payroll and benefits administration; be the Subject Matter Expert in those areas; ensure tasks are processed in an accurate and timely manner, and in accordance with legislative requirements. The successful candidate must be able to prioritize workloads, meet tight deadlines, maintain confidentiality, and be able to adapt to changing situations.
- Prepare and process semi-monthly and monthly payroll for over 200 employees every 15th and end of the month using Sage Simply Accounting
- Direct deposit payroll using ScotiaConnect.
- Ensure policy and government compliance; keep up to date and provide information of changes in Alberta Employment Standards, Personal Information Protection Act AB, WCB Alberta, and CRA
- Ensure accuracy of the payroll and employee information by updating and entering changes in the payroll system regarding employee taxes, exemptions, transfers, and salary & employment changes in a timely manner
- Coordinate with HR regarding maternity leave, sick leave, other leave, termination, and resignation; calculate and process special payroll; prepare and submit Record of Employment
- Post payroll data and prepares routine reports and/or payments/remittances to government agencies, insurance companies and others
- Administer extended health benefits program; process additions, terminations, salary/employment changes; liaise between employee and benefits provider regarding claims issues
- Review, reconcile, and compile payroll month-end reports, statements, and summaries; prepare monthly payroll journal entries report for general ledger posting; identify and resolve payroll discrepancies
- Complete year-end payroll processes; file T4s, T4As, and WCB AB Annual Return
- Prepare payroll files and reporting for yearly audit
- Provide information and answer employee questions about payroll related matters
- Perform routine accounting software back ups and update
- Report work-related injuries and submit required documentations to WCB AB – work with WCB AB and employee with regards to compensation and return when HR Coordinator is away
- Provide support and assist HR Manager & Accountant
- Train and provide leadership to HR & Payroll Assistant
- Other related duties required.
- Diploma in payroll.
- PCP designation or working towards achieving PCP designation.
- 3-5-year experience processing payroll, 1-3-year experience administering benefits.
- Experience in an accounting environment using Sage Simply Accounting.
- Knowledge and be well versed in AB Employment Standards and applicable legislations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, data entry and reporting.
- Effective communication (written and verbal) skills; strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Strong ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion.
- Detail oriented; reliable and independent; very good work ethics.
- Excellent time management skills: must be able to work under intense pressure and handle multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, and in a team environment.
- Experience working in a non-profit organization is an asset.
- Must provide a current (within 6 months) Criminal Record Check and Child & Family Intervention Record checks.
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Paid sick and wellness days after 3 months’ probation (pro-rated)
- Extended Health Benefit (50/50 cost sharing) after 6 months’ employment.
- Working approximately 34.5 hours per week
How to Apply
You can send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID-19 Notice: Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.