New in Town Indigenous Welcome Service is a service which assists Indigenous individuals and families to successfully transition to life in Edmonton by utilizing individualized needs assessments and settlement plans, providing a practical welcome kit, the provision of supported referrals to service providers and access to cultural resources.
New In Town is partnering with Edmonton Transit on a new pilot project to respond jointly to needs arising on transit. The Community Outreach Transit Team will pair outreach workers with Transit Peace Officers to provide a person-centered and trauma-informed response to current social issues arising on Edmonton Transit Service (ETS) stations and public transport. This position is a contract position for a period of 1 year.
- Provide mobile street-based resource within Edmonton’s Transit System
- Ability to work with partnering services, collaboratively
- Determines needs, connects people to required services
- Ensure supported referrals take place
- Follow up to ensure all community members are connected to referrals
- Gather information and resources.
- Participate in events, workshops/orientations for clients and community.
- Participate in mandatory training
- Human Services degree or diploma; equivalencies will be considered.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience doing street outreach with Indigenous and Non-Indigenous individuals
- Exceptional communications skills; considerable experience with motivational interviewing techniques
- Very familiar with emergency and other social services that would be of value to community members
- Excellent collaborative skills; knowledge of Indigenous cultures.
- Knowledge of the Indigenous culture and language is an asset.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have own vehicle and be willing to transport clients.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and willing to obtain a drivers abstract
- Must have 2-million-dollar liability insurance coverage
- Must provide a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector and Intervention Record Check (within a 6-month period from date of completion).
Salary and Benefits
- Salary plus monthly auto allowance.
- Paid sick and wellness days after 3 months’ probation (pro-rated)
- Working approximately 34.5 hours per week
How to Apply
You can send your cover letter and resume via email@example.com