Human Resources Manager-Mat Leave Coverage
Want to work for an organization that is making an impact in the Indigenous community?
Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society (Bent Arrow) is a non-profit organization that provides unique programs and services to Edmonton’s urban Indigenous population. The organization was created in 1994 when Brad and Shauna Seneca identified the need for programming for Indigenous children and families based on traditional Indigenous values and teachings. Today, Bent Arrow’s Mission remains to “build on the strengths of Indigenous children, youth, and their families to enable them to develop spiritually, emotionally, physically, and mentally so they can walk proudly in both the Indigenous and non- Indigenous communities.”
Bent Arrow is a values-driven organization that builds on the strengths of Indigenous children, youth, and their families. If your values are aligned with our guiding philosophies and values and beliefs, please consider joining our team.
About the Role
Bent Arrow has an inspiring opportunity for a dedicated community-minded professional to support our employees and organization’s mission. We are in search of a full-time, temporary HR Manager to provide leadership in all HR functions that include recruitment, policy development and maintenance, employee relations, orientation, staff professional development, total compensation, and HR trend analysis. This individual will report to the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director.
This position works out of our Edmonton office and at home when required. This is a temporary role that is anticipated to end March 2023. The hours of work are from Monday-Thursday from 8:30AM-4:30PM, Fridays from 8:30AM-4:00PM.
- Leads the development of HR goals and objectives. Provide leadership for Human Resources strategic planning.
- Establish HR departmental measurements that support the accomplishment of the organization’s strategic goals and plan
- Oversee the recruitment process of employment and practicum students
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure compliance with regulations, laws, and accreditation standards
- Ensure consistent application and organization compliance with policies, procedures, and applicable regulations
- Investigate and suggest resolutions for employee relations issues
- Advise Managers and Supervisors on HR best practices related to retention and growth, performance management, recruitment, selection, and development of employees, and workforce planning
- Support Managers and Supervisors with performance management and attend employee performance evaluations meetings as necessary
- Oversee the compensation structure of the organization to ensure it is equitable and conduct a compensation review, as required
- Coordinate and track mandatory training and professional development opportunities for all employees
- Support with delivery of professional development for employees, as required
- Keep current with existing and proposed laws and regulations affecting HR practices including Employment Standards, WCB, AB Human Rights, and Occupational Health and Safety
- Maintain employee files to ensure all necessary paperwork is completed and in proper order
- Track employee departures and determine satisfaction and retention rates through various means that may include exit interviews
- Attend external functions such as career fairs, community and special events as required
- Diploma or Degree in Human Resources Management
- CPHR designation considered an asset
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a Human Resources role
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience providing HR supports to a leadership team
- Experience in policy development and maintenance, employee relations, recruitment and orientation, employee professional development, total compensation, and HR trend analysis
- Intermediate level proficiency in Microsoft Office and HR databases
- Experience working in a non-profit environment is considered an asset
- Demonstrated skills and abilities in conflict management
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to build strong, trusting relationships with all levels within an organization
- Ability to adapt to change and willingness to be flexible and versatile in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- A strong commitment to upholding the guiding philosophies, values, and beliefs of Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society
- Criminal Record Check and Intervention Record Check (findings are reviewed on a case-by-case basis)
Contact us to apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include in the cover letter how you heard about the position, your salary expectations, and how your values are aligned with ours. In the subject line please include HR Manager Bent Arrow.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest, however, only candidates selected for a telephone pre-screen will be contacted.
Closing Date: February 4, 2022
COVID-19 Notice: Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g. medical, religious) may request an exemption. Please note that this policy applies to all employees, including new hires, and volunteers. If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or request an exemption.