Nikihk Aboriginal Housing First is an intense home visitation and follow-up support program designed to assist those experiencing chronic homelessness due to experiencing trauma. We provide in-home follow-up support, cultural and spiritual support and education, as well as trauma/healing support. The Follow-up Support Worker will provide support and referrals to resources in the areas of mental, emotional, and physical health in order to assist in overcoming these possible barriers that prevent a participant in achieving housing stability. The Follow-up Support Worker will work in collaboration with the Trauma/Healing Support Worker, the Cultural and Spiritual Educator, as well as other supports to create an action plan in the area of trauma recovery.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide follow-up support, assistance, and basic skill training to high risk Aboriginal men, women, youth, and families in order to establish and maintain independent and stable housing.
- Assist clients in a minimum 12 month time frame from intake to graduation with goal of reducing the barriers to maintain long-term housing sustainability.
- Broker client with existing community services including identification acquisition, medical attention, legal resources, and income assistance.
- Implement harm reduction strategies. Clients do not have to be clean and sober to engage in the program.
- Work an intensive case load of 19 clients per one worker ratio.
- Document all objective interactions with clients, whether by phone or face-to-face, on ETO, a web-based case management software.
- With respect to client/landlord disagreement, you will support both client and landlord objectively with no bias to either one.
- Must have personal motor vehicle and valid driver’s license to transport clients to and from services in the community.
- Conduct regular home visits to provide supportive services to clients in their desire to maintain stable housing
- Create an Independence Plan with clients outlining steps required to ensure client maintains stable housing.
- Foster positive working relationships between client and housing managers.
- All staff is to be cross-trained in Nikihk Housing First positions for the purpose of cover off, as needed, and as requested by the Team Leader.
- A./B.S.W./Human Services Degree or Diploma or equivalent; or 3 – 5 years minimum of relevant experience.
- Completion of college/CEGEP/vocational or technical training
- Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.):
– Social Service Worker (SSW) Diploma
– Community Support Worker (CSW) Diploma
– Human Services Diploma
– Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
– Non-violent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) Certificate
– Cultural Awareness Training; First Aid Certificate
- ETO database experience is an asset
- Enthusiasm for being part of the solution to end homelessness in Edmonton, Passion for working with Aboriginal individuals; excited about being a catalyst of change in people’s lives.
- Must have an understanding of the impact the loss of culture identity and intergeneration residential school syndrome has had on Aboriginal people.
- Must be responsible for developing professional time management while working in the community.
- Must have own vehicle and be willing to transport clients.
- Follow up Support Worker must have a valid driver’s license and provide a copy of their driver’s license and agree to have a driver’s abstract search.
- Must have 2 million dollar liability insurance coverage and provide a copy for employee files.
- CRIM and CYIM must be provided upon hire and must be current (within a 6 month period).
Salary and Benefits
- Monthly salary based on working 34.50 hours per week
- Paid Sick and Wellness days, after completing 3 months’ probation period.
- Extended Health Benefits (50/50 cost sharing).
This position is to start immediately.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: http://bentarrow.ca/about/apply-now/
Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society would like to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those qualified will be contacted for an interview.