Kahkiyaw Ayisiyinowak ka Wahkotot – “All people, especially traditional peoples, are related” – Kahkiyaw is a new and ground-breaking Aboriginal-led and community-based program created to significantly improve the lives of Aboriginal children, youth, and families in the Edmonton and Area Children and Family Services Authority (CFSA).
Kahkiyaw is being delivered in partnership by Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society and Boyle Street Community Services, two community organizations with a long and successful history of serving Aboriginal people in Edmonton. Working closely with CFSA Central Neighbourhood Centre, and using the Outcome Based Service Delivery model, the program will provide a continuum of services to improve the outcomes for Aboriginal children and families in our city.
The Kinship Care Support Worker is responsible to facilitate and coordinate Kinship Care placement, provide Kinship Care information, promote collaboration and information sharing among the service team, provide advocacy for the Kinship Care providers, develop opportunities for Kinship Care providers to access training opportunities, cultural opportunities, and/or Elders, and make referrals to community resources and/or support.
- Provide support and resources to the Kinship/Foster Care parents.
- Build positive relationships with the youth, and work with various agencies and support groups.
- Work effectively with the youth’s social worker, to develop healing plans, and relating information with the foster parents.
- Ensure that foster parents are informed of any changes in policy, support foster parents during an investigation, record statistics, and facilitate the matching and intake procedure.
- Participate in monthly support meetings.
- Other duties and responsibilities requested by the program supervisor.
Education and Credentials
- Post-secondary education in Human Services.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in either Foster Care or Kinship Care.
- Current (within 6 months) Criminal and Child & FamilyIntervention Checks without outstanding issues.
- Effective communication skills, conflict management, problem-solving skills, decision-making, and non-abusive behavior management.
- Strong interpersonal skills with good oral and written communication.
- Efforts to Outcomes (ETO) data base experience is an asset.
Salary and Benefits
- Monthly salary, based on working 34.50 hours per week.
- Monthly auto allowance.
- Entitled to paid sick and wellness days after 3 months’ probation.
- Entitled to extended health benefit plan (50/50 cost sharing) after 6 months employment.
This position is to start immediately.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: http://bentarrow.ca/about/apply-now/
Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only successful applicants will be selected for interviews.